3 lbs - Fresh mussels
1/2 cup - Ground spicy sausage, cooked and crumbled
1/2 bottle of White wine
1 cup - Chicken broth, low sodium
1/2 cup - Beef broth, low sodium
1/2 cup - Onion, chopped
4 - Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp - Paprika
1 tsp - Chipotle powder
1 Tbsp - Parsley Flakes
1 tsp - Red pepper flakes
1 tsp - Dried thyme
- Remove the "beards" from the mussels and then place in a large bowl of cold water with 1/4 cup of gluten free flour. This will help clean the mussels. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small pan cook the ground sausage until no longer pink, then sit to the side.
- In a large pot (big enough to fit all of the mussels), add a drizzle of olive oil and turn to medium heat. Then add the onions, saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic.
- Once garlic is sauteed for a few minutes add the chicken broth, beef broth, paprika, chipotle, parsley, red peppers, and thyme. Stir well. Then add white wine and ground sausage. Bring to a boil.
- Return to the mussels while your liquid is coming to a boil. If they are dirty, scrub the mussels with a brush under running water. Discard any mussels whose shells aren't tightly shut.
- Add mussels to boiling liquid, stir well, then cover pot with lid. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Discard any shells that did not open. Pour the mussels and the sauce into a large bowl and serve hot.