Makes 6 Servings
6 oz - Bacon, cut into 1 inch squares
1 tsp - Olive Oil
3 lbs - Stewing beef, cut into cubes
10 - Baby carrots, peeled and sliced in half
1 - Sweet Onion, peeled and diced
1 tsp - Salt
1/4 tsp - Freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp - Gluten free flour
3 cups - Red wine
3 cups - Beef stock, low in sodium
1 Tbsp - Sherry Wine
3 - Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp - Dried Thyme
1 tsp - Red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp - Tomato paste (gluten free)
2 - Bay leaf (dried or fresh)
1/2 tsp - Dried parsley
20 - White pearl onions, peeled
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. In a dutch oven over medium heat, add the cut up bacon. Cook for 10 minutes or until brown, then remove bacon, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
2. Add the olive oil to the dutch oven. Dry off each piece of beef and saute them until brown. Once browned remove to a side plate.
3. Next add the carrots and onion into the dutch oven and cook until softened. Set to the side.
4. Drain the grease from the dutch oven, then return the beef, bacon, carrots, and onion to the pan.
5. Sprinkle the flour, salt, and pepper, over the beef mixture and cook uncovered in the oven for 5 minutes.
6. Stir the beef mixture then cook for an additional 4 minutes.
7. Remove the dutch oven and lower the oven heat to 325 degrees.
8. Add the wine, stock, sherry, red pepper flakes, tomato paste, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer on the top of the stove.
9. Cover and place in the oven for 3 hours.
10. Serve with noddles, potatoes, or rice and garnish with fresh parsley (optional)