August 28, 2013
Makes 4-8 Servings
2 - 6oz cans Tuna (in water)
2 - tsp Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard (or another brand of gluten free Dijon mustard)
1/4 cup - Gluten free bread crumbs
1 tsp - Lemon Juice
A couple squirts Tabasco hot sauce
2 Tbsp - Fresh Parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp - Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1 tsp - Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp - Fresh green onion, chopped
2 - Egg whites
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp - Olive oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 cup - Light mayonnaise
1/4 tsp - Chili powder
1 tsp - Lime juice
1/4 tsp - Chipotle chili powder
squirt of Chinese hot sauce
Drain the liquid from the tuna cans, then place the tuna into a medium sized bowl. Next add mustard, bread crumbs, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, green onion, hot sauce, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
Taste the mixture to make sure it's seasoned well. Then mix in egg whites.
Divide the mixture into 8 part (4 parts for larger tuna cakes). Form into a ball and then flatten into a small patty. Place on wax paper and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Mix all sauce ingredients then place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large pan, over medium high heat. Add the tuna cakes into the pan and cook until both sides are browned, 3-4 minutes on each side.
Top tuna cakes with sauce and enjoy!
August 22, 2013
Only 53 calories per mini muffin!
Makes 1 loaf or 36 mini muffins
1 1/4 cup - Gluten free flour
1/2 cup - Sugar
2 - Eggs
3/4 cup - Plain low fat or fat free Greek yogurt
1 tsp - Gluten free vanilla extract
1 tsp - Gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp - Xanthan gum
1/2 tsp - Baking soda
2 cups - Zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup - Walnuts, chopped
2 tsp - Ground nutmeg2 tsp - Ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl add flour, sugar, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix well. Fold in walnuts and zucchini.
Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or add to a muffin pan and cook for 25-30 minutes.
Cool for 15 minutes then enjoy!
Per serving (1 muffin): Calories 53, Carbs 9, Fat 1, Protein 1, Sodium 71, Potassium 9.
August 20, 2013
3 lbs - Fresh mussels
1/2 cup - Ground spicy sausage, cooked and crumbled
1/2 bottle of White wine
1 cup - Chicken broth, low sodium
1/2 cup - Beef broth, low sodium
1/2 cup - Onion, chopped
4 - Garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp - Paprika
1 tsp - Chipotle powder
1 Tbsp - Parsley Flakes
1 tsp - Red pepper flakes
1 tsp - Dried thyme
- Remove the "beards" from the mussels and then place in a large bowl of cold water with 1/4 cup of gluten free flour. This will help clean the mussels. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small pan cook the ground sausage until no longer pink, then sit to the side.
- In a large pot (big enough to fit all of the mussels), add a drizzle of olive oil and turn to medium heat. Then add the onions, saute for 5 minutes then add the garlic.
- Once garlic is sauteed for a few minutes add the chicken broth, beef broth, paprika, chipotle, parsley, red peppers, and thyme. Stir well. Then add white wine and ground sausage. Bring to a boil.
- Return to the mussels while your liquid is coming to a boil. If they are dirty, scrub the mussels with a brush under running water. Discard any mussels whose shells aren't tightly shut.
- Add mussels to boiling liquid, stir well, then cover pot with lid. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Discard any shells that did not open. Pour the mussels and the sauce into a large bowl and serve hot.