Makes 4 Servings
1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 cup fat-free half & half
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar (not packed)
1 ½ teaspoons Coffee-mate sugar free French vanilla powdered creamer
1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
4 teaspoons granulated white sugar
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1. In a medium unheated pot, combine evaporated milk, half & half, and brown sugar. Bring to medium heat, then stir and cook until the sugar has dissolved and milk mixture is hot. Stir in the powdered creamer, blending well. Remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, mix the egg substitute and vanilla extract together. Gradually whisk in the hot milk mixture. Set four 4-ounce baking ramekins or custard cups in a deep baking dish. Evenly distribute the custard mixture among the cups.
3. Carefully pour hot water into the baking dish, around the cups, being careful not to splash any water into the custards (or on yourself!). The water should come about halfway up the outsides of the custard cups. Carefully transfer pan to the oven and bake for about 28 minutes, until custards are set.
4. Remove custard cups from the oven, allow to cool, and then refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2 hours.
5. Once ready to serve, top each custard cup with 1 teaspoon white sugar. Using a hand-held butane kitchen torch, caramelize the sugar 9in other words, blast it with fire ‘til browned). J
Per Serving (1 custard cup): 104 calories, 0.5g fat, 126mg sodium, 18.5g carbs, 0g fiber, 17g sugars, 4.5g protein
Recipe from "Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories" by Lisa Lillien